The process of running the 2011 Census has been contracted out by the Office of National Statistics to a private company – military & defence giant Lockheed Martin.
The arms company Lockheed Martin, 80% of whose business is with the US Department of Defense and other Federal Government agencies will be responsible for handling the census.
Here’s the warmongers spin on it:
This should concern you because:
– The Census rules mean that every household will be legally obliged to provide a wide range of personal information that will be handled by the chosen contractor.
– Lockheed Martin produces missiles and land mines which are being used in Afghanistan and Iraq and which are illegal in many countries.
– They also focus on intelligence and surveillance work and boast of their ability to provide ‘integrated threat information’ that combines information from many different sources.
– New questions in the 2011 Census will include information about income and place of birth, as well as existing questions about languages spoken in the household and many other personal details.
– This information would be very useful to Lockheed Martin’s intelligence work, and fears that the data might not be safe could lead to many people not filling in their Census forms.
If the first video was a little too low brow, and you have 15 minutes on your hand, watch the following video.
January 2011 marked the 50th anniversary of President Dwight D. Eisenhower’s famous farewell speech to the nation in which he warned against the rise of a “military-industrial complex.”
William Hartung, director of the Arms and Security Initiative at the New America Foundation traces the rise of the military-industrial complex through the story of the nation’s largest weapons contractor, Lockheed Martin.
Hartung’s new book is Prophets of War: Lockheed Martin and the Making of the Military-Industrial Complex.
Military Industrial Complex runs things.